Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Thrifting and Making Over Furniture


     As many of you know, I love thrifting and finding old pieces of furniture to redo.  I also love ogling before and after photos to see how other people have imagined new life into old pieces.  If any of you have not been over to Rashon Carraway's blog called Mr. Goodwill Hunting - it's a must for DIY ideas and really cool projects that he's done.  I'm showcasing some of my favorite pieces that he's redone in this post.  Rashon was invited to do a segment on Nate's design show.  This bright sideboard really "wowed" me.  I can just see what this sideboard originally looked like - who would have thunk to paint it such a bright color.  But the way Rashon mixes it in with the other pieces - it totally works!


           This proves that you can paint a piece of wood furniture anything you want - the trick is mixing it in with everything else in the room.  Rashon mixed it with more neutral elements and accents in a similar color family - Orange.




I have a secret love affair with plaid.  I just thought it was so fun how Rashon accessorized this wing chair.  Without the accessories, it would look like a sensible wing chair with a modern black look.  With the plaid and the suspenders - it really changes things up and makes the chair pop.  The suspenders are just fun!


I've seen this kind of dresser at flea markets or garage sales countless times.



It's astounding that with only some new hardware the
 handles and some paint, that it could look so high end?


This is one of my favorite transformations from Rashon's blog.

And it's because of the color he chose to paint this desk.  The color is an Amazing shade of green.  It reminds me of the shades used for the Marie Antoinette movie.  It can be paired with so many other colors as well because of it's soft palette.


I'm not very imaginative when it comes to
remaking lamps other than some spray paint. 

 So when I saw what Rashon did with this lamp, I just stared and stared at this photo. 
Isn't it awesome?  Notice the contrasting ribbon and that he sprayedthe top piece of
the lamp to match the base as well.  What an eye for color.


Here's Rashon himself in a dapper velvet jacket. 
I have a soft spot for velvet jackets as well.  Hope
you got some inspiration from Rashon's projects. 
Definitely check his blog out.


44 comments:

Karena said...

I adore seeing all of these amazing transformations. Color is so fun to do, whether a pale green or black lacquer!

Do come and enter my Valentines Giveaway!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Stacey said...

i adore Rashon! He's so creative and that orange sideboard is TDF! great feature!

Red River Interiors said...

I'm a big Rashon fan. He's very talented and has a good eye for what hasn't happened yet..great blog as well... Fay

Sheri said...

I've seen him on Nate's show! I love all these pieces as well, especially the orange piece and the light greeny desk. Gorgeous!!!

Jan said...

Great makeovers.
Would never have dreamed
that orange colour would work.

Punctuation Mark said...

i love to see interiors with color... they are much happier!

blah said...

Love it! I can't wait to start doing this stuff again after moving back to the US. I hope you are enjoyed your time off now to be super creative :)

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Rashon has such fun, bright DIY pieces! No wonder Nate loves him,
Laura

Lazy Susan Furniture said...

Wow! Those pieces of furniture all looked great after few refining touches!

Yasemin said...

Ohh great .)

Jaqueline Beatriz said...

Quanta coisa linda! Parabéns!

Custom Furniture Perth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Obcessed with animals said...

Lovely ideas!

nik said...

Hello! I just found your blog and I think it's AMAZING! The pics are great and I can see that You really like what you do here! I love people with great ideas, like you!
Your blog is inspiring! I will follow you!
xoxo

http://nikandpic.blogspot.com/

Company said...

What beautiful furniture! It's amazing what can be done with some simple refurbishment techniques! Really love Rashon's jacket, too.

Laura Casey Interiors said...

His pieces are as colorful and fun as his personality!
Laura

xavier - facebook said...

that good interior very nice

Clara Turbay said...

Very good ideas i´ll be back soon!

Jg Ar said...

Thanks for sharing such wonderful ideas.

Perpetuity said...

Great inspirations! I Love these projects too.

~Heather

Stills said...

Amazing furniture! Love that desk in soft shade of green!

www.stills.rs

toko baju muslim murah said...

Thank you for posting this. It’s exactly what I was looking for!

Veronica @ Design Style said...

I can't wait to take a peek over at Mr. Goodwill Hunting. I love a great transformation. He did an amazing job on that lamp, I found myself staring at it for a while as well.

countertops phoenix said...

Same here. The color combination are fantastic!

House For Sale In Mississauga said...

Colors are awesome.

Matt Cutts said...

Sofas in third picture are looking great. Colors are also good. I like your blog.

jali contemporary radiator covers

Easy Home Concepts said...

Orange is a bright color that helps give life to any room setting. Rashon Carraway is a very talented interior designer and he knows how to mix colors and incorporate them into the furnishings.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
chesterfield lounge said...

You have made an amazing transformation to all of the furniture especially the dresser that you painted black.....so adorable! Thanks for sharing these wonderful tips.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Thomas said...

I love the pictures on this site. Very funky and fresh.

Ewelina Uss said...

That lamp is realy great!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
hotel furniture said...

Really fantastic idea..keep it up...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hі there! Thiѕ article cοuld nоt be
written much better! Looking thгough thiѕ ρoѕt rеminds mе of
my previous roommate! Hе соnѕtantly κeρt preaching abоut this.
I most ceгtainlу will forwaгd this article to
him. Fairly certain he'll have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!

Also visit my weblog ... Natural Herbal Highs

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beds Ireland said...

Rashon is very creative, Making over furniture is becoming really big business.He has created Beautiful pieces which could suit bedroom, living room or dining rooms. Love the tv cabinet.

Anwar Fazil said...

Top Expensive Cars, top speedy cars, top most popular cars in the world
TopAmazingCars.BlogSpot.Com

Asif Ali said...


Find best Online Jobs on Facebook...
JobzCorner

Monnaie said...

Nice interior designing and interior furnishing..